The City of Cleveland Department of Economic Development is proud to offer a unique program that provides funds to develop urban gardens for commercial market sale of fruit and produce. The program, called Gardening for Greenbacks offers grants up to $5,000 (previously $3,000) for eligible costs which include:
- Tools and equipment
- Display tables and booths
- Irrigation systems
- Rain Barrels
- Construction materials
- Signage and fencing
Gardening for Greenbacks aims to establish Cleveland as a model for local food system development and to ensure that every resident has access to fresh, healthy and affordable food.
Sound interesting? Here’s what you need to apply:
- You must have an established sales presence OR
- You must successfully complete Market Gardener Training through OSU Extension, Cuyahoga County.APPLICATIONS FOR MARKET GARDENER TRAINING ARE DUE BY FRIDAY, DECEMBER 21, 2012. You can find the application here. For more information about the Market Gardener Training Program, contact Morgan Taggart.
- You must have executed a lease for a farmer’s market vending spot or have a lease on a plot of land OR
- Have contracts for sales of produce for sales of produce to local venues.
There is a $25 application fee. If you would like an application or have questions about the program, please contact Kevin Schmotzer or Anthony Stella with the City of Cleveland Department of Economic Development.